Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Hello My Friends, I'm facing a very serious challenge right now. I've struggled with the idea of whether I should share this information publicly or not. I don't want it to appear that I am looking for sympathy because I'm not. My challenge is no greater than many who suffer similar situations. All I ask is for your prayers, positive outlook, love, support and continued friendship.

I do feel it is important to share my experience in hopes that someone else facing a similar challenge may find something in my experience that will help them on the road to recovery.

I have been diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer with spreading to my liver and my lung. I got the final word on that just this past Monday. It's been 4 weeks of  Doctors here and there to find out each time that the news was worse than expected.

Now I know where I stand in terms of what is going on inside physically. I have shared this with some of my close friends and others who have shared advice regarding what course of treatment I should take. It's been very confusing. Ultimately I have to choose what I feel in my heart because I'm the one facing it.

I've decided to walk the middle road. Naturally the medical Doctors were the main ones that found this situation and they have been great with me. Once I found out it was Cancer I found a naturopath oncologist who knows my medical oncologist and vice a versa. They seem to have mutual respect for each other and will work in conjunction with each other through my treatment process.

The cancer in me so so advanced that I feel that chemo is going to have to be part of this process. I go in tomorrow to have minor surgery to have a port installed into my chest so they can hook me up. I start my therapy on Monday February 19th.

There are many who disagree with the idea of chemo but then many of those I have talked to are not facing this. I can't eat solid food. I can barely swallow. I've lost 40 pounds and I know in my heart that this is the right choice for me along with guided nutrition therapy from my naturopath oncologist to help me get through the chemo and into my remission.

My spirits are good. I'm optimistic and positive I can beat this. Yes I am afraid too. Mostly of the process of getting through this. At times my emotions run high. Usually when I see my wonderful wife Mary and how she is suffering through this as well. When I tell my friends and I see their reaction it hurts to see them suffer that sadness. I also feel so wonderfully blessed by this because I can feel their love for me and it is a beautiful thing.

This entire thing changes ones perspective for sure. I'll share more of my thoughts and experiences as I can. Until then. Namaste my friends.

25 comments:

  1. Good morning John. Although we have never worked together and this is my first time contacting you, I have admired your work and artistry for years. You are THE BEST at what you do. You bless people with beautifying their instruments. I will pray for you my friend; today and every chance I have. You can beat this John. Continue believing that and it will happen.
    God bless you,
    Joe Peichoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, thank you. that means a lot to me. more than I can express in words. Blessings to you my friend.

      Delete
  2. Peace be with you, John. I have had some scary near-death battles the past few years, and have found that when I can not easily swallow solids I can almost always get a green smoothie down. And you can pack a lot of powerful and healing nutrition into one of those critters! If you want more information and/or recipes, just give me a holler at fiddling dot girl at gmail dot com and I'll get right back to you. Namaste and may your path be kind. Though we have never met, I believe in you with all my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you fiddling.girl -- :) I have been doing my best at making green drinks but am struggling with the taste. I would love to get more info and some recipes that make them more yummy.

      Love and Light to you.

      Delete
    2. John, what is the best way for me to get the recipes to you? I have some yummy ones!

      Delete
  3. Hey Now John... I am sending you and Mary enormous love. Not many words at the moment... just big love. I will be in touch. Many blessings. Namaste ~Spirit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Spirit -- good to hear from you. Not many words are needed. it's the thought that matters. And the Big Love too. Sending it right back at you with Big Hugs.

      :)

      Delete
  4. John, I am with you every moment, sending you and Mary all my Love
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you all the best and a swift recovery, John. You are in my prayers.

    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, It gives me comfort knowing you are in such good hands as its rare to find an Oncologist willing to work with a Naturopath. Since my diagnosis I've also discovered that it's best to have both worlds - middle of the road in treatment. My thoughts, love and healing energy will be a constant for you on your journey. Just a thought but I've also discovered different types of healing energy therapies that give me lots of comfort, power and peace. Email me if you're interested for details. mkeadifrence@yahoo.com
    tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina - sorry I could not call this weekend. It's been a bit crazy trying to get work straightened out before I start chemo tomorrow. Now I'm just trying to relax. Go ahead and send me the info by email to johnpaulpolk@gmail.com

      Love and light to you

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing this with us, John. Even though I've only gotten to spend time with you a few times, you're my family, a wonderful husband to Mary, and a kind and gentle soul and I love ya! You'll beat the hell out of this thing and come out standing. Know that you guys are not alone in this. You're surrounded by love, strength, and positive energy. We're all with you in this battle and look forward to rejoicing with you when this beast is slain. Kick it's butt like we all know you can! Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily

      Thank you so much. Looking forward to that rejoicing when the beast is slain.

      Much Love

      John

      Delete
  8. crazy aunt janet sends good Hendrix vibes to you. I'll call forth the power of Woodstock to you...Hendrix said any of us could do that for the rest of our lives...he said that now that we have lived and loved so intensely with each other for those days we each would always have all our power. He told us to, at any time, just stick our head out the window and yell"Woodstock Nation" and that the rest of us would hear and would come to you. I'll do that now and for awhile. Peace and Power my friend. j.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet

      Thanks for the Jimi Hendrix Woodstock vibe. I dig it.

      Peace and Love

      john

      Delete
  9. John,
    Your in a tuff place right now and your entering a time when you've become depended on many people. These people want to help you and it will take some surrendering on your part, (a guy thing).
    It sounds like you've worked through most of the decisions and now you need to corral all of your might and create a place of healing in your mind.
    You are fortunate to have a strong women at your side, look to her eyes and fine love...
    zeph

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh John! Oh shit! OhKay, then. Now to deal with each moment. I send you so much love. Thanks for your wise and beautiful sharing. Here's a green drink recipe that pretty yummy. (but do you have a juicer? I can get you one if you need one.) Here's the recipe:
    1 bunch cilantro
    1/2 bunch celery
    1/2 bunch spinach
    1 whole cucumber
    1/4 - 1/2 bunch parsley
    1 whole lemon
    1 whole apple
    1 inch of ginger root

    juice it up makes about a quart. tastes pretty good and I don't usually like cucumber. Let me know if you need a juicer, I'll have Mark bring the one I left at his house, over to you, OK? Love love love to you and to Mary. Yer friend, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest John and Mary, my thoughts and prayers are with you and YOU WILL BEAT THIS! Wheatgrass is supposed to be very helpful and I can hook you up with the best. Let me know how I can help. I love you both and be stong! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John,

    I'm really upset and shocked this is happening to you. I am in such disbelief....I have Great information that I believe will help you considerably especially right now. I will email you @ your gmail account with the info. It's important to get stronger with food, I know you're not able to eat solids right now, but having raw butter (no salt ) with raw honey has the ability to give you energy, stabilize you and to absorb some of the poisons in your body and dissolve them. It will melt in your mouth and tongue and TASTES GOOD!! Yummy!! Sending you HEALING ENERGY, THRIVE, LOVE, LIGHT & DIVINE ET ENERGY!! FOR YOU ARE OF THE LIGHT DIVING SOUL! I APPRECIATE U!!! BIG HUGS, Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  13. John and Mary,

    Although we're still sitting here shocked by your news, we're glad to hear that you're tackling this head on. Prayers and healing energy can do wonders (on top of your therapy), and we're sending you lots and lots from the other side of the world!! Please wrap your arms around yourself and squeeze hard...that's a hug and a smile from us and the little girls. You WILL beat this!!

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  14. John and Mary,
    I'm also surprised by your news. I'm so glad that I was able to come out for your marriage celebration and that I got to spend time with both of you. You are such a blessing!
    I know that this thing can be beaten!
    My love and prayers are with you!
    Cousin Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you tried Caisse's tea? http://www.floressencetea.com/Health_Support_Formula_from_Rene_Caisse.html#tab=Home

    Very old remedy and amazing results have been documented. Peace and Hope to you both.

    Tina @ DTE

    ReplyDelete
  16. John,My name is MarkI got a littla bit of yer news thru Mary on Fbook.known Mary from the bank days and thru George Collingwood...I just had Cancer surgery for Prostate ,They got most of it,but I have to go back for a lil radiation in Jan....I wish you luck and healing and send prayers for you.Thank you for providing inspiration with yer positive thoughts...Fight on Warrior......I've been hearing about an amazing fruit called Graviola,havent found it ,but heard it is helpful in the fight.Thank you for your bravery in posting this

    ReplyDelete