Saturday, February 18, 2012

Medical Insurance Woes

When I went in  to get my consultation for my chemo port surgery they called me back and asked if I had gotten a call about my insurance. They said the insurance provider was denying my chemo treatment and the surgery for the port.

All I could think at that moment was that this just keeps getting worse every time I come in. Will the news ever get better?

As I sadly walked out of the room I checked my voice mail and there was a message from the cancer institute that the insurance company had reversed their decision and would pay after all but for only  two sessions of  the four chemo sessions the doctors want me to have. So we'll see how that plays out.

I am fortunate that just before this was discovered I was able to get on an Oregon State health insurance plan for low income people. I realize I am way more fortunate than many when it comes to having insurance that but I really don't know how long it will last.

Along with the conventional medical doctors and treatment there is the naturopath oncologist which in all honesty is who I believe is really going to get me through this. I'll talk more about that in another post.

The insurance only covers conventional western medicine will not cover any naturopath medicine, treatments or Naturopathic doctors visits.

Just in the last two weeks I think I've spent close to $1000.00 on the natural aspect of my healing with visits to the nathropath and supplements needed. Expenses are racking up and we have gone through what little savings we had so I'm to the point now where I am asking for help from anyone who can give it. Anything helps. Financial help is welcome but I realize that is a lot to ask so even prayers or kind words of encouragement will do.

I'm so fortunate to have my wife Mary who is suffering hard from this experience. She has been so wonderful in helping me in so many ways to get through this. I really feel it's harder on her than it is on me.

I'm also blessed with the best friends anyone could ask for. I'm overcome with emotions at times when I think of all of those who have offered kind words and prayers for me. Those who have made me soup so I can eat something that tastes good. Keeping myself  fed right now is a big thing since I cannot eat any solid foods. Thank you Ruth for that awesome broccoli soup the other day.

I realize I'm not the only one suffering from this sickness. There are many I'm sure who are far worse off than me that could use the help more than me which is another reason why it is so hard to put this out there and ask for help for Mary and myself as we get through the next few months.

If you feel you can donate to my cancer fund then please know I deeply appreciate anything you can contribute. Money, soup, encouragement, positive loving energy. It's all good.


I will be setting up a main donation page on my website but you can also make a donation from here.

I love you all and wish the best for everyone.
 
John Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment